This is a random list of books I’d recommend, broken down into genre. I will change the date when I update.
YA and MG:
1) Everything by Sarah Dessen
2) Everything by John Green, especially The Fault in Our Stars
3) Everything by Morgan Matson.
4) Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
5) Everything by Gae Polisner
6) The Mockingbirds and The Rivals by Daisy Whitney (also When You Were Here and Starry Night)
7) Wonder by R.J. Palacio
8) Everything by Courtney Summers
9) Hate List by Jennifer Brown
10) How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford. Her others are also excellent.
11) Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick
12) Anything by Ellen Hopkins. My favorite is Burned, but her others are also good.
13) Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. LOVE THIS BOOK. Also Fangirl.
14) If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch.
15) Everything by Emery Lord
16) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
17) Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
18) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
19) We are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
20) Everything by Kasie West
21) Everything by Jason Reynolds
22) HELLO? by Liza Wiemer
23) Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu
24) PS I Miss You by Jen Petro-Roy
1) Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
2) The Infernal Devices novels by Cassandra Clare
3) The Caster Chronicles (Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Darkness and Beautiful Chaos) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
4) The Shade Trilogy (Shade, Shift and Shine) by Jeri Smith-Ready
5) The Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent
6) The Griffin trilogy by Darby Karchut
7) The Demon-Trapper’s Daughter series by Jana Oliver
8) The Diviners series by Libba Bray
Dystopian YA (I’m going to assume you’ve read the Hunger Games trilogy):
1) Legend by Marie Lu
2) Across the Universe by Beth Revis (sequel is also wonderful)
3) Divergent by Veronica Roth. Insurgent is also excellent.
4) Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan. Spark is also excellent.
1) Faking Faith by Josie Bloss
2) OyMG by Amy Fellner Dominy
3) Pure by Terra Elan McVoy
4) What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook (and then read her others)
5) Saints & Misfits by SK Ali
1) Anything by Chris Bohjalian (but especially Sandcastle Girls, Midwives, Trans-Sister Radio and The Night Strangers).
2) Anything by Jodi Picoult (but especially Plain Truth, The Pact, My Sister’s Keeper and 19 Minutes).
3) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This is my favorite book EVER.
4) Room by Emma Donoghue
5) Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
6) Unpredictable by Eileen Cook
7) The Meryl Streep Movie Club by Mia March
8) Everything by Allison Winn Scotch
1) All of Harlan Coben’s standalone mysteries
2) Everything by Michael Connelly, but start with The Poet
3) Everything by Laura Lippman
4) Everything by Sara Paretsky
5) Everything by Lisa Gardner
6) Everything by Marcus Sakey
7) Everything by Sara Blaedel
8) The Burning Air by Erin Kelly
9) Stolen by Daniel Palmer
10) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
11) The Silent Wife by ASA Harrison
12) Archetype by M.D. Waters (sort of a mystery)
13) The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn
1) Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (NOS4A2 is also excellent)
2) It by Stephen King
3) Pet Sematary by Stephen King
4) The Shining by Stephen King
5) The Ruins by Scott Smith
6) Night Film by Marisha Pessl
1) Bossypants by Tina Fey
2) The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs (really, ANYTHING by A.J. Jacobs)
3) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and Other Concerns by Mindy Kaling
4) The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure
5) Changing Shoes by Tina Sloan
6) Shock Value by Jason Zinoman
7) Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
8) Shelf Discovery by Lizzie Skurnick
9) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling
10) Yes, Please by Amy Poehler
1) Love Wins by Rob Bell
2) Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
3) Girl Meets God by Lauren F. Winner. Still is also excellent.
4) Red Letter Revolution by Shane Claiborne and Tony Campolo